*Amoris laetitia* for the perplexed

Questions and answers about what the Church teaches; personal opinions should be posted elsewhere.

*Amoris laetitia* for the perplexed

Postby inthegobi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Ed Peters is at it again, being all smart and knowing stuff and things:

https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/is-kellers-essay-really-the-way-amoris-should-be-read/

Keller’s essay illustrates almost perfectly how pastors—reading Pope Francis’ Amoris laetitia in its overall, plain sense (and not, lawyer-like, parsing certain problematic phrases narrowly enough to support a more traditional interpretation)—are going to stumble into accepting (what I view as) the central flaw in Amoris (although others might rank other aspects of Francis’ document even more problematic in the long run), namely, implicitly assuming that, in the final analysis, a Catholic’s assessment of his or her own conscience is the sole criterion that governs a minister’s decision to give holy Communion to a member of the faithful. That assumption, whence ever it arose and no matter how many adopt it, is simply wrong. Grasp that and one has the essence of the thing.

Not entirely apropos but it reminds me of this quote from 'Bureaucrat 1.0':
"Bureaucrat Conrad, you are technically correct. (Eyes narrow). The best *kind* of correct." (Futurama, 'How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back')

C Kirk
inthegobi

Re: *Amoris laetitia* for the perplexed

Postby DLM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:28 pm

In my opinion, the document is severely flawed from a 'teaching' perspective -n essence, where there was clarity, there is now confusion.

I even consider the very premise to be flawed because: Amoris laetitia AKA The Joy of Love seems devoid of Love and all about Sex -namely, rubber stamping illicit sexual activity.
Daniel
DLM

Re: *Amoris laetitia* for the perplexed

Postby Kent » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:53 pm

According to Fr. Z, the Maltese bishops have already gone over the edge and plunged into the depths of licentiousness.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Return to Doctrine & Canon Law