St Gregory of Nyssa

St Gregory of Nyssa

Postby Allandnothing » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Vatican II has encouraged us to continue our serious returning to the careful study of the Fathers of the Church. At present I am reading a marvelous book by Hans Urs von Balthasar, Presence and Thought: An Essay on the Religious Philosophy of Gregory of Nyssa. An extraordinary work by an extraordinary spiritual author. Of several great Fathers, Gregory of Nyssa was less paid attention to, especially in his spirituality. His attention was especially in philosophy and its possibilities that might be true in the area beyond reason, beyond the supernatural, beyond grace, beyond God's Revelation. Gregory makes no claim for certainty in this area. Of course he differentiates clearly between Philosophy and Supernatural Theology. Several other Fathers thought about the possibilities beyond nature and the supernatural, but none so spiritually and deeply as Gregory. Gregory of Nyssa touched upon remarkable spiritual fore shadowings of things that were written about by St John of the Cross, St Theresa of Avila, St Thomas Aquinas, Jacques Maritain in The Degrees of Knowledge, in rear Toto y Nada, and other spiritual writers. There was a time in the Church when Spirituality Theology was greatly neglected -- and at the same time there was great devotion and prayer among the people of the Church. I urge you sons and daughters of God's holy Church to read and slowly digest this outstanding work by a great mind and heart of the Church, Hans Urs von Balthasar. I Pray for you .. please Pray for me ...
John Trinity5635@aol.com
Allandnothing

Return to Scripture & Writings of the Fathers