Italian Muslim Group Demands Polygamy as a Civil Right

Italian Muslim Group Demands Polygamy as a Civil Right

Postby Carmelite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:54 pm

The slippery slope of redefining marriage:

"When it comes to civil rights here, then polygamy is a civil right," he insists. "Muslims do not agree with homosexual partnerships, and yet they have to accept a system that allows it. There is no reason why Italy should not accept polygamous marriages of consenting persons."
U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in his dissenting opinion in the 2015 ruling legalizing same-sex marriage: "Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world."

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti ... ivil-right

Only months after Italy approved civil unions for lesbians and gays, a leader of the country’s Islamic community is using the move to argue for the civil recognition of polygamy. He also claimed that Pope Francis’ silence regarding his suggestion means that the pontiff has perhaps understood that it’s a “simple civil right” and a matter of equality.
Piccardo also said that he wasn’t trying to be “politically correct,” because he’s been so for the past 25 years, “in respect to a role, often with discomfort and fatigue.”

“Now I try to be Islamically correct,” he added.

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/ ... -polygamy/
In Christ
Kim
Carmelite

Re: Italian Muslim Group Demands Polygamy as a Civil Right

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 am

The first thing to be said is that the Muslim in question, one Hamza Piccardo, has a point. If the state can legislate for same-sex partnerships, which have had, until now, no existence in law, then there is no reason why the same legislature cannot do the same for polygamy, also until now illegal. After all, if the basis of legality is solely in the will of the legislators, what possible objection could there be?

It is at this point that readers might like to be reminded of St Thomas Aquinas’s definition of law: it is an ordinance of reason, made for the common good, by him who has care of the community, and promulgated (ST. IaIIae, Q.90, art.4).

That is a good definition, and it rules out a law enabling polygamy for the following reasons: such a law would not be for the common good, and such a law would not be reasonable. Please note that the force of law does not arise from the will of the legislator, which is one reason why Christians have always been urged to disobey unjust laws. The trouble for us, of course, is that we live in an age where parliaments seem to think that they can legislate exactly as they wish, without reference to reason or the common good.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... -wont-use/
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Carmelite » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 pm

seamas o dalaigh wrote:
The trouble for us, of course, is that we live in an age where parliaments seem to think that they can legislate exactly as they wish, without reference to reason or the common good.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... -wont-use/

That is the problem.
In Christ
Kim
Carmelite

Postby Gabriel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 am

I once read that democracies survive until the voters discover that they can not only satisfy their needs at the ballot box, but also their wants - bread and circuses. Then they die.

There was also an old claim that a legislature could do anything except make a man a woman - Then Denmark gave us Christine Jorgensen.
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby lasaxman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:25 pm

The Mormons want polygamy, so we let them have it.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby inthegobi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 pm

lasaxman wrote:let them have it.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken

Kirk
inthegobi

Postby Gabriel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:12 pm

I once saw it noted that with divorce we already have polygamy. We have it in series; they want it in parallel.
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby Rose West » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:17 am

Yes. Serial monogamy isn't really monogamous at all.
Rose West
Rose West

Return to Marriage & Family Life