How to Find Bishops and other Church figures of the past?

How to Find Bishops and other Church figures of the past?

Postby inthegobi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:21 pm

My reading requires me often to track down sometimes obscure historical figures of the Church, often in Latin with Latin names for the towns. I'm still searching for a Julius Serenus and his book De Fato, 'On Fate', and now one Iacobus de Valentiis Episcopus, a Bishop Jacob of Valens, or Valencia (Spain), or Valence (France). The last is in what used to be the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensis - try naming your cat *that*. Neither Valencia, Spain nor Valence, France show a Jacob or Iacobus among their bishops. Old Bishop Jake might not even be closely associated with any of these places, and might have been just from 'Valentia', which might itself be just some burg.

What resources are out there, online if possible?

(If you're interested - and I just bet you are! - I'm working on a passage from a 16th-century textbook that's asking the question Why is there any dry land at all, rather than just a smooth sphere of earth completely surrounded by a sphere of water? The author cites ancient Church authorities who agree with him that the sheer unevenness of the earth is sufficient (though innocent of modern geology, he thinks God put the unevennesses in place at Creation): Qua propter modus, quo iussu Dei segregatae fuerunt aquae, ut appareret Arida, magis mihi placet is, quem explicat S. Ioannes Damascenus summae auctoritatis apud Theologos vir, lib. 2. de Orthodoxa fide, cap. 9. & 10. & qum sequitur Iacobus de Valentiis Episcopus: Roughly, "The real way that God's command caused water and dry land to separate, it seems to me, is detailed by Saint John Damascene, a great authority among theologians, in Chapters 9 and 10 of Book II of his Orthodox Faith, who Bishop Jacob de Valentiis follows."

Chris Kirk
inthegobi

Re: How to Find Bishops and other Church figures of the past

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Chris,

You might find this of interest:

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/

The webmaster is a menber of the Forum (the other place).
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby JeffStevens » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 am

seamas o dalaigh wrote:Chris,

You might find this of interest:

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/

The webmaster is a menber of the Forum (the other place).

This was my first thought.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Chris,

I don't think you find much, if anything, online on the two you've mentioned. You might need to use a university library.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby inthegobi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am

James,

Yes, it seems you've found as I that they dont' show up. What's the Internet coming these days!? Not turning up Bishop Jacob de Valentiis was surprising. I think he's 14th-16th century; Am I right that Jacob is follows Jerome (in agreeing with him)? The persons in question aren't important, but I hate mere name-dropping.

I have run across the website you mentioned, and it is a Herculean job.

Chris Kirk
inthegobi

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Chris,

Am I right that Jacob is follows Jerome (in agreeing with him)?

I'm not sure that I quite understand.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby inthegobi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

James,

Am I correct in reading that Latin to say that Bishop Jacob follows Jerome's beliefs on the matter in question, and that therefore the bishop is later in time? And that therefore I can narrow my search (unfortunately only by a little)? (sequitur can just mean, atemporally, follows as in 'believes the same thing')

Chris Kirk
inthegobi

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Chris,

In the above context i would take sequitur to refer to time.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby inthegobi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm

A tardy update!

Julius Sirenius of Brescia, On Fate in nine books (long chapters,) Venice 1563. I found him and not much else in Lyn Thorndyke's old work A History of Magic and Experimental Science Volume 6. I didn't pursue him further than Thorndyke's book.

Bishop Jaime Pérez of Valencia (c.1408–1490) - so, not French. An Augustinian friar, teacher and auxiliary bishop who published commentaries on the Psalms and the Song of Songs. See Peter G. Bietenholz & Thomas B. Deutscher, Contemporaries of Erasmus: A Biographical Register of the Renaissance and Reformation. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1997, vol.3, pp.67–8.

C Kirk
inthegobi

Return to Mary and the Saints