The Modern "Peculiar Institution"

How the Faith should and does influence public policy

The Modern "Peculiar Institution"

Postby Kent » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:35 pm

I've been "shopping" the below around, but it seems to gain no traction. It's simply ignored. It's meant to generate shock and horror but it doesn't. Any ideas why?

=======================================================================
I’ll give this as an “executive summary”, without the elaborate supporting statements.

To “dispose” of something (in the broadest sense of the term) you must make an ownership claim on it. Therefore one must claim ownership of that thing in order to “trash” or destroy it.

Therefore those who promote abortion are making an ownership claim on the human beings to be aborted. Claiming ownership of a human being is a claim of a slavery “right”.

The “disposal” of the human being being aborted means the killing of that human. This meets the definition of homicide.

Therefore, those who advocate the “right” to abortion are claiming the “right” to practice a kind of homicidal slavery: the “peculiar institution” of our time.

(I thought that slavery is supposed to be prohibited by the 13th Amendment. It also appears to me that Donald Trump might be the best possible person to put that before Hillary Clinton, especially in the first debate.)
Kent Wendler
Kent

Re: The Modern "Peculiar Institution"

Postby lasaxman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 am

Would that not apply to all killing?
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Re: The Modern "Peculiar Institution"

Postby Kent » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:09 pm

No. It would not apply in the (distilled to its essential core) case of unintended but foreseen consequence of killing a person in the process of self-defense when it is determined (to the best of human discernment) that the latter is not possible without the former. This is the case (sometimes) with executing capital criminals and with soldiers in time of war. It is almost never true with a "biologically normal" pregnancy.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Return to HOT Topic: Politics and Catholics in the Public Square