I gave a blessed Crucifix to a Hindu

I gave a blessed Crucifix to a Hindu

Postby fsimon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:54 am

A teenager told me that he was being disturbed in his sleep.I had a blessed Cross of St Benedict with me.The young man does not know anything about the catholic faith.He has never heard of St Benedict or even of St Francis Xavier.However he now enjoys a restful night.I told him to pray to the cross.He has never heard of the Gospels.I told him to attend Holy Mass. He wondered if he would be allowed in the Church.
Now I feel a bit guilty about giving a sacred object to a pagan who has no interest in learning about the Holy Cross.He is using it merely to protect himself.
He says that he keeps the Crucifix near his bed
Sorry that I have posted in a rambling sort of way-out of practice with English.
fsimon

Re: I gave a blessed Crucifix to a Hindu

Postby Rose West » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 pm

So you gave a sacramental to a person who recognizes the small graces it gives him? I think you did the right thing. The green scapular is often used in just that way. (The scapular is blessed and given to a non-believer who is asked to carry it with them. Then the person who gives the scapular prays for that person's conversion.)

Edited to add: Yes, the Hindu is currently using the crucifix in a way that's a little bit superstitious. However, *you're* not being superstitious in trying to get God's grace to him, and you never know if he will develop a curiosity to learn more, or if God will come to him in some other way that will connect to this crucifix later.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby Bob A » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Isn't this akin to the use of a sacramental as an amulet? I can appreciate the sentiment behind giving a sacramental to a pagan but I fear for the abuse of the sacramental and the potential interpretation of the sacramental as an amulet. A sacramental is not an instrument to ward off evil through some mystic power it possesses rather an instrument to assist in prayer through which evil may be thwarted. How can a pagan pray through a sacramental without a belief in the God ultimately represented by the religion to which the sacramental belongs?
Robert
Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. G. K. Chesterton
Bob A

Postby fsimon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Rose A Thanks for your encouragement.It is now up to God to pour out His Grace.My sister used the green scapular .There are only two small churches in town so I don't know where to get one
Last edited by fsimon on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fsimon

Postby fsimon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Bob A. I agree that the sacramental is being used as an amulet.I too fear to its abuse and have asked to visit the house.Someone died young there and they fear that the dad mans spirit is haunting the boy
fsimon

Postby fsimon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:03 pm

I have asked the boy to revere the Cross or else return it.Meanwhile I am taking another Hindu boy for Holy Mass in his language today
fsimon

Return to Inquirers, Converts, and Reverts