Win 10, yes or no?

Welcome New Member!

Here is a section for you to post a message introducing yourself after registering. Get to know the other members here. This first section is not so much a discussion section as it is a starting point where you can begin to make yourself at home. There are many discussion sections below! The Forum has a particularly Catholic Christian character and openly proclaims its faithfulness to Pope Francis, Bishop of Rome, who is the Vicar of Christ and Successor of Peter, in union with the Catholic Bishops throughout the world.

Our goal in participating should not be always to be "right" at any cost, but rather humbly and honestly to seek the truth. In this, we will be guided by common sense, intellectual honesty, the Magisterium of the Catholic Church, her Tradition, her laws, and her duly appointed pastors. Since our common goal is to get to heaven, when disagreements result from our discussions our guide will be charity and our motto will be...

FAITH SEEKING UNDERSTANDING!

Win 10, yes or no?

Postby Rose West » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Well, we're coming to the wire for the free upgrade to windows 10.

Has anyone successfully accomplished it?

What are the pros and cons?

Is it reasonable to do on a Win 7 machine?

How about a fairly new Win 8 machine (I'm guessing this machine was put together just before 10 came out)
Rose West
Rose West

Re: Win 10, yes or no?

Postby Kent » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:05 pm

My understanding is this:

If your getting a "fresh" new system w/ new hardware then yes.

If you're using an older system with older peripherals (printer, scanner, etc.) you may need to update your "drivers" (extra software that permits the peripheral to operate on your system), if the updates are available.

If you're using an older system with "legacy" software and older peripherals (that's me) very probably not. (I use Win 7 Pro, which has backward compatibility.) Win 10 does not. Neither does it have the Media Center.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Postby inthegobi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Not yet: one part fear, one part apathy, one part distracted with other things, one part doubt if it's worth it on this worthy but very used brick of a laptop.

Kirk (On an old Dell Latitude E6400 with Windows 7 Home Premium)
inthegobi

Postby JeffStevens » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:19 pm

I am running four computers with Windows 10 without difficulty.

But consider the source.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby lasaxman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Kent wrote:Neither does it have the Media Center.

What does this mean in terms of playing music, videos, etc?

And here is a question for you grammar geeks. When you put "etc." at the end of a question, should it have both a period and a question mark?
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby inthegobi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:17 pm

lasaxman wrote:And here is a question for you grammar geeks. When you put "etc." at the end of a question, should it have both a period and a question mark?

From the Chicago Manual of Style, as repeated by their online Q&A:
An abbreviation that ends with a period must not be left hanging without it (in parentheses, e.g.), and a sentence containing a parenthesis must itself have terminal punctuation (are we almost done?). Finally, an abbreviation ending with a period that is immediately followed by a question mark or exclamation point requires both marks (Q.E.D.!).

So, keep the period unless you'd end up with two periods. (Not dealt with is 'etc.' followed by an ellipsis. I'd say it follows the same rule: "ect...and so forth" not "etc....and so forth")

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby Rose West » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:04 am

JeffStevens wrote:I am running four computers with Windows 10 without difficulty.

But consider the source.

I usually find that you're a decent barometer for what I'm able to do, at least at this level.

Is there an age range to your machines?

I'm pretty sure the 1 year old machine I'm using at the moment was made to handle Windows 10, but husband's machine is 3-4 years old.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby JeffStevens » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Rose West wrote:
JeffStevens wrote:I am running four computers with Windows 10 without difficulty.

But consider the source.

I usually find that you're a decent barometer for what I'm able to do, at least at this level.

Is there an age range to your machines?

I'm pretty sure the 1 year old machine I'm using at the moment was made to handle Windows 10, but husband's machine is 3-4 years old.

One is my work laptop. It can run anything on earth.
Another is my home gaming machine. Same class.
Another is my wife's PC, which is similar to the fourth, my "bench" PC, are both about 6 years old. I would say that if your PC has 4GB of RAM and an Intel processor called "CORE", it can run Windows 10.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Rose West » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Sounds like we should be fine, then.

Thanks for all the suggestions, then!
Rose West
Rose West

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Just ran across this in Crickler Puzzles:
Microsoft ordered to fix 'excessively intrusive, insecure' Windows 10
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/20/france_windows_10_microsoft/

A French regulator has issued Microsoft a formal warning over Windows 10, saying the operating system collects excessive amounts of personal data, ships that information illegally out of the EU, and has lousy security.

The warning comes from the Commission Nationale de l'Informatique et des Libertés (CNIL), an independent data privacy watchdog with the power to levy fines against companies. The CNIL has been investigating Windows 10 since its launch and has now drawn up a damning list of criticisms.

"The CNIL has decided to issue a formal notice to Microsoft Corporation to comply with the Act within three months," said the group on Wednesday....

UpDATE
We built strong privacy protections into Windows 10, and we welcome feedback as we continually work to enhance those protections," David Heiner, deputy general counsel at Microsoft, told El Reg this afternoon.

"We will work closely with the CNIL over the next few months to understand the agency’s concerns fully and to work toward solutions that it will find acceptable."....
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby Rose West » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Well ok, it's been most of a month now, and Win 10 seems to be fine except for a)few things.
1) It starts up and pretends that it's ready to do whatever within 1 to 2 minutes, so I start in on whatever I was planning to do, but then it freezes while (I think) it finishes setting up the background processes. Easily 5 minutes will pass before it's really and truly ready to be used.
2) Once in a while I get a black screen, acting somewhat like it's going to sleep, but I can't wake it up without turning it off and restarting it.
3) What am I supposed to do with this Edge thing? If I open it, I can't get it to go to any websites, yet it insists on being the only PDF reader on my pc. For some reason my PC will not allow me to set adobe as my default PDF reader. I can open Adobe and then a PDF saved to my hard drive, but opening a PDF online always goes to this edge thing, and when I try to change it, I'm told I can't but not why.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby inthegobi » Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Rose, I just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. A few hours ago actually.

So far i've done only what I would on the old computer. The same cerval cat stares at me from the tall grass of my Desktop; Firefox runs, if sluggishly (maybe there's internet trouble too). I made some early choices against data collection at the installation, but haven't explored further. How's your adventures been?

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby DLM » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 pm

My belated two cents: When it comes to installing and or upgrading to Microsoft 'new' stuff my default answer is wait -let others discover identify and work through the bugs/flaws (undocumented features) first...
Daniel
DLM

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 pm

It's interesting that the victims of the recent WannaCry international ransomware attack were not running Win10

Australian technologist Steve Sammartino said the WannaCry ransomware appears to have targeted XP Windows software that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

"XP Windows software that was at the centre of the WannaCry attack is a 10-year-old piece of software. It hasn't been supported by Microsoft in more than three years," he told the ABC.

"What that means is if there are vulnerabilities and they get out there in the market, there's a higher chance that the organisations using it don't have the resources to keep their software up-to-date. If there is an attack they haven't got time to patch them and upgrade.

Mr Sammartino says often it is government or government-run organisations — such as hospitals in the UK — that are most vulnerable.

"One of the things we tend to see is that government organisations tend to have software a little bit behind what's the latest in the market," he said.

"And ironically it's the government institutions that don't have the resources because they don't see software as a primary part of their business. If you're running a hospital you don't see software as one of the major parts of your business, but increasingly it is.

"So it tends to be down on the agenda in terms of where we're going to invest our limited funds to keep things up to date. So having older software out there and a lot of government institutions using it actually increases the risk in our critical infrastructure."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-16/r ... ea/8531110
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Rose West » Tue May 23, 2017 1:50 pm

I upgraded my newish PC that actually hit the shelves minutes before win 10 was available, and within a week it had destroyed the operating system. I was able to get to a c: prompt and back everything up, but when I rebooted, Win8 came up and I let it. Life was good.

Then my hard drive was completely corrupted in March, or perhaps it was never quite right. The advantage of it was that I was about to take a trip by airplane and had pondered taking the laptop with me. No point to it, then. I sent the thing to the shop and they fixed me up (I think they replaced the hard drive), having loaded Win 10 before they sent it back.

So now I'm on Win 10, and it's been good. In fact, if this makes any sense, the machine feels, for the first time since I bought it, as if it's running the way it was engineered to be run. My husband and a company discount for Office, so we got and are running that, too. For years I'd been running Libre Office, which is an open source program and really good, but it never worked quite the same in between when Sun Systems was running it as OpenOffice and then Oracle bought Sun and spun off what became LibreOffice.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby Rose West » Tue May 23, 2017 1:55 pm

seamas o dalaigh wrote:It's interesting that the victims of the recent WannaCry international ransomware attack were not running Win10

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-16/r ... ea/8531110

And this is why my husband's win7 machine was upgraded. We knew that MS had stopped upgrading 7 and was going to stop sending out security patches at some point. On win10 the thing runs like one of those cars at an amusement parks that use lawn mower engines, and it's terribly asthmatic, but we can boot it up, we can get online on it, and we can access the files on it we need.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby inthegobi » Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 am

Rose,

I used Libre Open Office for a while. It wasn't a perfect mesh with MS Office, but it did the job when I was without the latter. Once in a while I swear to jump into the open-source pool for OS, programs and all, but get cold feet.

MS still updates Windows 7, and patches it, until 2020. (Maybe they aren't doing anything 'fancy' like a service pack?). I am just not a user who pushes an operating system's limits, except by accident. Nor have I had a problem with attacks or viruses using 7, knock on wood. (Once, but my fault - a pesky, false window to click on.) I took the plunge because I found an honest way to get a free upgrade to 10, past the official end-date, and didn't want to lose the opportunity. I had no trouble with the recent worldwide hit-job. Reports noted that gov't and institutions mostly were simply dilatory in upgrading their computers, and were still using XP.

MS says I can downgrade back to Win 7 (de-grade?). My hard drive now has more on it than ever (3/4 of 75Gb; the OS and various programs like Office used to take up up exactly 1/2 the space). The windows.old file alone is 17Gb. I keep almost no personal files on the hard drive now, so it isn't a problem. The 4Gb RAM I put in a few months ago works as well as before, and maybe a bit better.

I have not checked my Canon mini-printer, a Pixma i90, nor my rather strange old HP scanner, but I just don't foresee problems. (It is a slab, that can sit in a (flimsy) frame, or can be set directly on top of a book. I like that feature for research. Here is a picture: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41D86HJPN0L.jpg). At the worst, there's a library a short walk away. Again, I just don't have any peripherals fancy enough to confuse the computer.

So, Windows 10, I give it a flabby vote of 'Sure, Why Not?': I was doing fine before, but the time was convenient.

Do we get to fiddle with the look of the 'windows' themselves? Haven't found that feature yet.

I have not delved deeply into what information is being hoovered up by Microsoft.

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby inthegobi » Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Rose West wrote:Once in a while I get a black screen, acting somewhat like it's going to sleep, but I can't wake it up without turning it off and restarting it.

I saw that at very first, but it went away. I turned off some stuff that made my OS act as if I had a touch screen. To un-screen-save it to show where to put my password, I have to hit a key rather than just swish the touch pad.

What am I supposed to do with this Edge thing? If I open it, I can't get it to go to any websites...

Did you figure it out? It is a pdf reader that is well integrated with the Explorer browser; it is not a browser itself.

...yet it insists on being the only PDF reader on my PC. For some reason my PC will not allow me to set adobe as my default PDF reader. I can open Adobe and then a PDF saved to my hard drive, but opening a PDF online always goes to this edge thing, and when I try to change it, I'm told I can't but not why.

I have a trick! I opened my pdf reader, Foxit, directly. All programs want to get their hooks into - I mean, they all want to be helpful, right? The program right up front gave me a prompt allowing me to make it the default pdf reader; the computer alerted me when I did it, and now I see my pdf files with the symbol of Foxit, not Edge. Adobe must allow you to do the same; you've just blown by it so often you don't see it.

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby Rose West » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Edge is actually the new internet explorer for win 10; I'm using it now. It's not as smooth as Chrome in a lot of ways, and they have a love affair with Bing I do not understand, but I've been able to make the adjustments that do what I want online. And all of the issues I was having before like fatal black screen are gone now. Whatever they did at the shop with this machine seems to have covered over a multitude of sins and it's working like it was always supposed to.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby inthegobi » Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 am

Rose, I hadn't even bothered to open the blue 'e' at the bottom of my desktop! How clever MS stuck with a name with the same initial letter.

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby inthegobi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 am

Windows 10 update!

Well, it's been several months. I don't see any problems I didn't have before. The screen sometimes twitches, maybe more when the laptop is warm maybe especially when the screen has sat in the Sun. I've solved that by reloading all possible display drivers; i tried to cheat the other day, but there's that twitch.

I have been anti-Internet Explorer (or 'Edge' of whatever E means now), and very anti-Chrome: Yes, please, allow me to make the way to my personal info straight and broad. I just read a sour review of Amazon's new invention, putting a camera into your home and an electronic lock that will mean you don't have to schedule around packages or get stuff stolen from your porch. It noted that tech companies' idea of 'what people want' is a lot like 'what a 25 year old man wishes his mother would still do for him.' Heh!

However, trusty Firefox, which I've been using since it was Netscape Navigator in the 90s, eats up memory and processing power. If I have too many complex sites - Facebucket, plus a messenger window, plus maybe a philosophy chat room on Discord (what a name) - it eventually slows, then freezes: maybe not technically, but I don't want to read a chapter of a book while I wait for things to move on. If I can at least close FF, it is usually no solution - I must open task manager and 'end task'. FF at the point of choking uses up at least 1.5G of RAM! (I have only 4G, being cheap on the RAM upgrade, and hoping irrationally, I dunno, money would fall from the sky or i would reform and be less tight about a new-ish laptop instead of this Dell Cuneiform. But per Rose's point about the machine using true RAM versus accessing the hard drive, I wonder if FF would just take up even more RAM and choke it with temporarily saved page info, no matter.

Edge/Explorer however seems to use hardly any RAM memory at all. Was this always so, or just with win 10? Where is Edge putting the page info that FF loads into RAM? Why doesn't FF do this little trick?

(Btw: Or is the trade-off a constant vacuum on my personal habits online? Not very exciting habits, and yet...it bothers me no end. Briefly, it is an uneven transaction: I get only so much internet, but Microsoft, or Google, or whoever, get an indefinite use of each piece of information I give them. I have the same beef I have with grocery stores with savings or point-gathering cards (Safeway: points, mostly for gas; QFC: sales you must use the card for, which is practically all sales. I *really* think that's low). Not that I refuse the savings; but it is in the back of my mind.)

Obviously I took too seriously Bill Gates' early dismissal that nobody needs more than 256K of storage/memory, but it seems something as simple as a web browser, even a modern one, would not be so greedy. On the other hand, I don't find Edge very peppy even with the best internet connection: it's diesel to FF's gasoline engine.

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby Kent » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm finding it impossible to watch streaming video (tv shows) with FF. The video freezes but the audio continues, leading to a series of narrated semi-stills. So I go to my old IE to watch. BTW, I'm still on WIN 7 SP1 (I use Media Center, a lot, and backwards compatibility), but I have 8G main memory and my system drive is solid state.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Postby Rose West » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 am

I've always thought Bill Gates must be a bit of an idiot when it comes to memory. Any system, including the average household, when given a bigger work surface, be it a counter top or desk, will find a way to fill that space. Windows does no less with RAM.

I don't like Edge very much at all and will probably go back to Chrome when I remember what all my passwords are, which will pretty much be after Facebook forces me to change that one again. I think browsers are very user-determined. You tend to find what works for you in the way it works and that's what you will like. I loathe Bing, which has some disgusting habits that it can't seem to break no matter how many times I tell it to stop showing me certain things, so my search engine has not been that since the first time I opened the browser and got a chance to change it.

I've pretty much determined that if I unplug it and turn it on it will work and then I can plug it in later, which solves the freezing problem that made me question everything. I've seen it described in some PC chat rooms with my brand of PC. It must have to do with static electricity, electronic fields, and some physics I didn't pay much attention to either in high school or college.

My other biggest problem is that the software I use to make machine embroidery patterns crashes on me sometimes, although the frequency with which it crashes is inversely proportional to the frequency with which I save my work. (Everyone remember the old joke about "Jesus saves" from CIS days?) I suspect I need to get a gaming computer with a good graphics card to really do the job.

But overall, Win 10 has worked since the second time I installed it, although it's given my husband's asthmatic 5yo Dell a lot of arthritis. It's not that it doesn't work on his PC; it just takes its time.
Rose West
Rose West

Return to Introductions & Technical Issues