...to be sin ... made himself a curse

Questions and answers about what the Church teaches; personal opinions should be posted elsewhere.

...to be sin ... made himself a curse

Postby Allandnothing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello my brothers and sisters in Christ .. and all you others too -- 10 July 2013
I want to use the following words of Scripture .. and then pose a question for your thinking and, I hope, a response.

"For our sake he [the Father] made him [Jesus Christ] to be sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor 5:21. And .. "Christ ransomed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us..." Galatians 3:13.

How very powerful are those words of God! What are the important meanings of these words? What do they mean?

Pray for me .. I will pray for you. John
Allandnothing

Re: ...to be sin ... made himself a curse

Postby JeffStevens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm

I'll be honest. I've never understood those well in a Catholic context. I'm looking forward to others commenting intelligently.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Gabriel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:29 pm

The footnote in the Ignatius New Testament states:

Jesus was not made a sinner or personally counted guilty of sin on the Cross. Rather, he bore the curse of death that mankind incurred because of sin [Gal 3:13, 1Pet 2:22-24] even though he himself knew no sin, i.e., committed no sin [Jn 8:46, 1Jn 3:5, CCC602-3].

Paul adopts the idiom of the Greek OT, where "sin" is a shorthand expression for a Levitical "sin offering"[Lev 4:21, 5:12, 6:25]. Isaiah uses this same language for the suffering Messiah, who was expected to make himself an "offering for sin" [Is 53:10]
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby BobAdams » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 am

One interpretation I've heard says that Jesus took all the curses of the New Covenant upon himself so that we may have all the blessings.
Bob Adams
BobAdams

Postby Allandnothing » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Dear Grace-Blessed Sublings in Christ -- 21 July 2014

The best explanation I've seen recently of "Jesus 'Become Sin'" was in the St Anthony Messenger magazine. It's in the section, Ask A Franciscan June 2012. Get it easily at Ask@FranciscanMedia.org I think it's really worthwhile to nail this one down.

Sibling, I Bless you .. please Bless me back. Allandnothing (JohnJFarren)
Allandnothing

Postby inthegobi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Allandnothing quoted 2 Corinthians and Galations:
"For our sake [the Father] made [Jesus Christ] to be sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor 5:21.
"Christ ransomed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us..." Galatians 3:13.

John and Jeff;

Without a book to back me up, I was taught that it is a straightforward reference to the scapegoat, common to Jewish and other cultures. At the right season the right kind of goat would ritually have the sins of the city put upon it and be driven out of the city. Thus the citizens are ritually pure ('become righteousness') by a goat bearing and dying of the sins ('to be sin' . . . 'becoming a curse'). 'A curse' is a periphrasis for sin (being cursed is the natural effect of sinning so to speak).

You might research the ransom theory of atonement with profit. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is an allegorical version of a variant of the ransom theory: the scapegoat is really a trick for the Devil, since it is not just any old goat but God Himself. There are clever early illustrations of Jesus as bait, the Cross as an anchor-hook, the line of Jesse as the fishing line, the Devil as the big fish etc.

That of course does not answer John's awe and wonder over the mystery of atonement. How God can do this without remaining sin is the mystery to me.

Chris Kirk
inthegobi

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Chris,

Without a book to back me up, I was taught that it is a straightforward reference to the scapegoat

I was taught the same.
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Return to Doctrine & Canon Law