Front Line piece on the Vatican.

An acceptable prejudice? Many contend that anti-Catholicism is on the rise.

Front Line piece on the Vatican.

Postby JeffStevens » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 am

Did anyone see it? I did not. It is all over social media this morning, and I think it might behoove us to discuss it and have some pocket answers to address it when it inevitably comes up.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Re: Front Line piece on the Vatican.

Postby ianJM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Is that a story link on this. I have no clue what this is all about.
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby ianJM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Ok, I've got the relevant information on what this is about. Perhaps two articles will go some way to help the discussion:

1) "Secrets of the Vatican" documentary on PBS is sloppy, one-sided

2) PBS 48th hit on the Catholic Church

What I got out of the information in the two links is that:

-- Co-producer Jason Berry is a dissident Catholic
-- The key commentators interviewed are the usual suspects who consistently attacked the Church through the Church-bashing fishwraps National Catholic Reporter and Tablet.
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby Michael-D » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Jeff,

JeffStevens wrote:Did anyone see it? I did not. It is all over social media this morning, and I think it might behoove us to discuss it and have some pocket answers to address it when it inevitably comes up.

Yes, I did watch.

Just some thoughts I have.

The interview parts about abuse were very disturbing. Not sure what could be said about this -- other than it's been addressed. Much has changed.

The section about the financial corruption/IOR/Vatileaks is an ongoing investigation and groups of reform in the Vatican.

The claims of blackmail and accusations (many by journalists) of quite a bit of sexual activity (especially same-sex) of some in very high positions in the Curia and Vatican I found quite sorted. In some ways, this can be seen related to the Pope's highly popular out of context quote, "who am I to judge". A person given a position in the Vatican noted to have had an inappropriate relationship in the past. The Pope noted this was an incident in the past. He confessed - made a correction. Is forgiven. And who is he to judge. Commenting those of good will looking for the Lord should not be judged. Pope Francis did not say much regarding the questions about a "gay lobby" and blackmail other than stating it was worrisome.

I hope part of the Curia reform and move towards finding places for lay experts can help in this area.

Michael
___
Michael
Michael-D

Postby Retsinab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 pm

I watched the entire 1:23 minutes (full disclosure: My hearing being almost non-existent, I relied on close-captioning. It was unusually well done as far as grammar and spelling but I have no way of knowing whether it accurately and in entirety represented what was actually said.)

That being revealed, based on what I read, I think there is reason to be concerned on all the issues covered.

And at the risk of incurring the wrath of COLers here, I have a couple of observations/questions.

Given the sub-formum in which this was placed, I assume it is considered an anti-Catholic report. So are we faithful Catholics to …

1. assume anti-Catholicism on the part of critical reports and require the author(s) to prove the report is not?
2. point to the "dissident Catholic" tendency of author(s) as a refutation of the author's argument without offering a counter argument? (This sounds suspiciously like an "ad hominem" attack, which is rightfully deplored when it is directed against us.)

and, to take further Jeff's observation "discuss it and have some pocket answers to address it when it inevitably comes up", other than point out anti-Catholic bias on the part of the authors of this report,

3. what legitimate, accurate and verifiable responses will counter the negative reactions that will undoubtedly result from this report.
And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
The Gospel of Saint Matthew, 25:40 (NAB)

Jim B
retsinab@gmail.com
banisterjim@me.com
Retsinab

Postby Michael-D » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:54 pm

I did want to mention this review of the program . I found it balanced.

Michael
___
Michael
Michael-D

Postby ianJM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Retsinab wrote:2. point to the "dissident Catholic" tendency of author(s) as a refutation of the author's argument without offering a counter argument? (This sounds suspiciously like an "ad hominem" attack, which is rightfully deplored when it is directed against us.)

Jim,

I agree with this wholly. The point is not to counter any argument that such a person is anti-Catholic (or insert anything else) and therefore he has an agenda or his views are coloured. But it is more to inform a person making a case of what he is up against.
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby Rose West » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:49 pm

I think if you can point something like that out in the interest of full disclosure, it's appropriate. After all, a person who speaks to me about it is going to assume I have a certain POV, and I think it's fair for us all to acknowledge that everyone in the conversation has a POV.
Rose West
Rose West

Return to HOT Topic: Rise of Anti-Catholicism