Gospel for the 13th Sunday in OT

Gospel for the 13th Sunday in OT

Postby inthegobi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:52 pm

The Gospel for this past Sunday includes the famous story of the daughter of Jairus being cured, or even risen from the dead.

Why does Jesus want this miracle to be secret? And why do we know about it if it was supposed to be secret?

(The full Gospel reading includes the story of the woman hemorrhaging for years - this meant she could never approach the Temple or sacrifice, menstruation making a woman ritually impure. When I was a kid of course I knew nothing of such things. The King James version speaks of 'the woman with the issue [of blood], and all I could think of was of a woman whining and complaining, and one disciple asks the other 'What's her problem?' and the other replies 'Oh, she's got issues.' Put this under the category of 'sinners and (Re)publicans.' :roll: )

C Kirk
inthegobi

Re: Gospel for the 13th Sunday in OT

Postby lasaxman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:49 pm

I wondered about that myself. It doesn't seem likely that the secret could be kept, considering that there was a big crowd around the house, and the girl rose and walked around.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Re: Gospel for the 13th Sunday in OT

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 pm

The historical explanations generally assume that the Gospel of Mark is historical and that Jesus issued the commands. Based on that assumption, various additional theories have been proposed, e.g. that Jesus issued the commands in order not to become a "celebrity" and be able to move about with ease.

The theological explanation was proposed by Wrede: it was not yet the proper time for him to be revealed as such. He knew when he had to go to the court and then be crucified. In Mark 8:30 Jesus, "Then strictly warned them that they should tell no one about Him." Jesus' messianic mission cannot be understood apart from the cross, which the disciples did not yet understand (vs. 31–33 and ch. 9 vs. 30–32).

The literary explanation theory has it that Mark made a conscious effort to identify Jesus with Odysseus, a Greek hero with whom Mark's gentile audience would certainly have been familiar. Odysseus, on his return home, has to disguise his identity to avoid his enemies, and in Mark the messianic secret could serve the same purpose for Jesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Secret
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Return to Scripture & Writings of the Fathers