David and Bathsheba

David and Bathsheba

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:15 pm

The author of 2 Samuel 7 includes some subtle criticisms of both David and Bathsheba:

1* In the spring of the year, the time when kings go forth to battle, David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they ravaged the Ammonites, and besieged Rabbah. But David remained at Jerusalem.
This implies that if David had been busy at his job in the field, like other kings, he wouldn't have had time to get into trouble.

2 It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking upon the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful.
One presumes that Bathsheba knew that the king's quarters overlooked her roof top.

4... (Now she was purifying herself from her uncleanness.) ....
This seems to imply that she knew this was the time when she was most likely to conceive.
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Re: David and Bathsheba

Postby Carmelite » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:36 am

Gabriel wrote:
4... (Now she was purifying herself from her uncleanness.) ....
This seems to imply that she knew this was the time when she was most likely to conceive.

That should be about 7-10 days later, I would think.
In Christ
Kim
Carmelite

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:39 pm

19 "When a woman has a discharge of blood which is her regular discharge from her body, she shall be in her impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening.
Leviticus 15:19
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby Carmelite » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
19 "When a woman has a discharge of blood which is her regular discharge from her body, she shall be in her impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening.
Leviticus 15:19

"If the blood stop and cease to run, she shall count seven days of her purification" Leviticus 15:28

14 (plus or minus 2 or 3) days from the start of the discharge is the peak time for conception. If she takes a bath after the end of the discharge (3-7 days) she is till not at the peak of fertility. For example if the discharge ends after 4 days, then she is fertile about 10 days later (day 14) and she is unclean for about 4+7 which is day 11. At day 11 she could still get pregnant.
So God allowed the cleanliness to start around the time of conception.
In Christ
Kim
Carmelite

Return to Scripture & Writings of the Fathers