"The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan

"The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan

Postby Retsinab » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:29 pm

I suspect that most Americans consider their era, experiencing as they do the immediacy of their situational problems, to be one of the truly harassed and challeged generations of history.

The modern era, with it mass shootings, terror attacks and crime, certainly is faced with myriad social problems and danger.

But there are two generations of Americans (and others worldwide) that can make a persuasive case for being two of the most harried generations; women and men who suffered grievously and consistently for more than a decade.

One seized the inflationary growth of post WWI and hitched their star to the promise of “Free Land” in the fertile and sparsely-populated section of America known as the High Plains, only to see their dreams blow away with the turned-over top soil of the dust bowl depression days of the 1930s.

An entire generation beaten down and defeated by the vagaries of a fickle climate.

And their offspring, who came of age in this harsh land went on to experience the even greater horror of a World War, losing many of the best and brightest along the way to becoming famous as “The Greatest Generation”, a sobriquet aptly assigned them by the journalist Tom Brokaw.

Next time you fret over an exorbitant electrical bill or sit idling away gasoline stuck in a traffic jam or worry about the high price of groceries, pick up a copy of “The Worst Hard Time” by Timothy Egan, which chronicles the horrific struggles and tragedy of the sod busters who sought to tame what early 19th century explorers called “The Great American Desert” with the plow and sheer tenacity.

Ultimately most failed, leaving thousands of abandoned homesteads and hundreds of thousands of acres of land sans topsoil, pulverized to dust by the plow and blown away by the incessant wind that blew burning hot in summer and bitterly cold in winter …

NOTE: The endorsement of the above-mentioned book was unsolicited and no compensation was received. (Heck, I even had to pay retail price for my copy!) …
And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
The Gospel of Saint Matthew, 25:40 (NAB)

Jim B
retsinab@gmail.com
banisterjim@me.com
Retsinab

Re: "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan

Postby Val Garcia » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm always struck by something my friend's mom said of WWII- "you know, we didn't know we'd win". That statement put an entirely new perspective on it because of course, they didn't know and there were times when it looked desperate.
Val

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.”-Flannerly O'Connor
Val Garcia

Return to The Salon: Media, Books, TV, Software