Conclusion

All Forum Rules Still Apply!
Contentious issues go here.

Conclusion

Postby Kent » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Over the years I have been intrigued by the supposed and often claimed conflict between revealed truth as taught by Scripture and the Church, and the results of scientific research. Indeed, some things seem irreconcilable, such as the origin of man as related in Genesis and the findings in the science of natural history.

Personally I have never been satisfied with “explanations” such as simply stating that Genesis was never meant to be anything like a natural history and should simply be taken as presenting basic truths of faith – for instance, that man and the universe were all created by God – and simply let it go at that.

Therefore I have, over the years, mulled over whether there might be a more satisfactory but still plausible way of reconciling the two. It would have to be consistent with known science but not be contrary to revealed truth. The preceding is the result. For whatever it is worth I find these conjectures more satisfying than much of the other literature I have come across; and to me, at least, serve to present more of God’s glory.

How much of the conjectural parts are essential to salvation? Absolutely none of it, of course. I am confident that the count of those saved without them is huge beyond knowing but by God. But if it is of any worth and helps some toward salvation then I am grateful for that.

If some of this can serve as a starting point for the conjectures of others then I would find this even more edifying.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Re: Conclusion

Postby Kent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:15 pm

There is another way of approaching this... During Lent the Gospel acclamation is "Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory!" Should not exegesis be done on the basis that we really believe the "endless glory" part?
Kent Wendler
Kent

Re: Conclusion

Postby DLM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 am

Kent wrote:Personally I have never been satisfied with “explanations” such as simply stating that Genesis was never meant to be anything like a natural history and should simply be taken as presenting basic truths of faith – for instance, that man and the universe were all created by God – and simply let it go at that.

In my opinion, put no faith in science being 'settled'. Quantum mechanics hints clearly at man's ignorance of reality that some might conclude is and will always be an invincible ignorance. Take for instance the false perception of time. If the past, present, and future all exist 'now' and the 'future' is a determinant of the past as much as the past a determinant of the future then what of 'natural; selection'?
Daniel
DLM

Return to Lion's Den