2+2=5??

All Forum Rules Still Apply!
Contentious issues go here.

2+2=5??

Postby Gabriel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 pm

A Jesuit theologian recently commented that in theology this may be true.

I am reminded of the words of an archbishop from Texas some years ago.

He started by asking the color of a white glove he was holding.. Of course everyone said "White". He said "NO! It is red; blood red. Please remember that."

He went on to discuss a recent statement by the archbishop of Milwaukee. [I think it was Milwaukee. It was the subject of a lot of dissension at the time, but I don't remember the subject now.]

At the end he again held up the glove and asked its color. Of course every one answered "RED". He replied "NO YOU IDIOTS; IT IS WHITE! Even if an archbishop tells you that it is red, it is still white."
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Re: 2+2=5??

Postby com6063 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell.
"Working out my salvation in fear and trembling." Andrew McAllister
com6063

Postby Gabriel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

I remember many years ago a legislator in some state introduced a bill to make pi [ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter] equal to three rather than that endless decimal. :mrgreen:
Joe Kelley

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Gabriel

Postby lasaxman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Gabriel wrote:At the end he again held up the glove and asked its color. Of course every one answered "RED". He replied "NO YOU IDIOTS; IT IS WHITE! Even if an archbishop tells you that it is red, it is still white."

But didn't they get points for obedience?
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Andrew,

As well it might.

Sources for literary motifs:

The statement "2 + 2 = 5," used to torment Winston Smith during his interrogation, was a Communist party slogan from the second five-year plan, which encouraged fulfilment of the five-year plan in four years. The slogan was seen in electric lights on Moscow house-fronts, billboards and elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Joe,

It was Fr Antonio Spadaro SJ, who is said to be very close to Pope Francis.

He was echoing Pope Francis' criticism of those who are "rigid" and "dogmatic".

Rev Antonio Spadaro S.J., editor-in-chief of La Civiltà Cattolica and confidante of Pope Francis, stirred controversy when he stated on Twitter last week:

Theology is not #Mathematics. 2 + 2 in #Theology can make 5. Because it has to do with #God and real #life of #people...
— Antonio Spadaro (@antoniospadaro) January 5, 2017

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/2- ... olic-faith

On the subject of people who are "too rigid", I really loved this:

Pope Francis’s remarks on the “rigidity” of some attendees of the Extraordinary Form have sparked a great deal of comment. While much of this has been lighthearted – I have Facebook friends for whom “rigid” is now a proud self-ascription – it is undoubtedly true that many traditionally-minded Catholics, not surprisingly, feel genuinely affronted.

The thing is, the Holy Father is perfectly correct. As someone who attends the EF on a regular basis – two or three times a month, maybe – I reckon I know exactly whom our Pope must have in mind. Not, of course, all those “who are too young to have lived the pre-Conciliar liturgy, [but] who want it nonetheless”. That criterion would apply to any EF-goer under 50 or so, which, at our little village church at least, means a clear majority of them. But the small-but-vocal minority of them who are “too rigid”, who have indeed ” an attitude of rigidity”? Oh yes, I know them very well.

In fact, at nearly every single EF Mass I’ve ever been to, there has been at least one person there who fits that bill perfectly. At our regular Mass there are two of them – both, as it happens, young ladies.

While I have seen them both at other Masses, I know for a fact that both prefer – vastly prefer – the Tridentine. In fact, far from considering it Extraordinary, I’ve even heard them call it “normal Mass”. Why that is, I’ve no idea. Maybe it’s a social thing: there are, I admit, always a good number of bright young things of similar ages there (which, to be fair, isn’t true of every Mass). Once Mass is over, they only want to talk with those in their little clique.

Tellingly enough, they also like the “trappings” of Catholicism: they seem to spend forever lighting candles, visiting statues, and all that. It’s not so much as I mind that kind of devotionalism per se, in moderation. But these two take it to an extreme. Every Mass those sitting nearby are constantly distracted by their getting out endless rosaries, prayer cards, statuettes, and all manner of ostentatious accoutrements. (They have an actual rucksack – a rucksack! – full of such paraphernalia.)

I’m referring, as you may have guessed, to my beloved daughters, aged five and two. And in some ways, they fit the Holy Father’s description very well.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... -he-means/
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Gabriel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Rigid Deplorables, or should it be deplorably rigid. :mrgreen:
Joe Kelley

Gabriel

Postby JeffStevens » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 pm

seamas o dalaigh wrote:Andrew,

As well it might.

Sources for literary motifs:

The statement "2 + 2 = 5," used to torment Winston Smith during his interrogation, was a Communist party slogan from the second five-year plan, which encouraged fulfilment of the five-year plan in four years. The slogan was seen in electric lights on Moscow house-fronts, billboards and elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby JeffStevens » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Gabriel wrote:I remember many years ago a legislator in some state introduced a bill to make pi [ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter] equal to three rather than that endless decimal. :mrgreen:

That was a hoax.

http://www.themarysue.com/tag/the-geome ... ation-act/
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby lasaxman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 am

2 + 2 = 11 (in a base 3 system)
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby Gabriel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm

lasaxman wrote:2 + 2 = 11 (in a base 3 system)
On the other hand I doubt that you would accept two $2 bills as change for an $11 check. :mrgreen:
Joe Kelley

Gabriel

Return to Lion's Den