Web inventor says we need to push back against fake news

All Forum Rules Still Apply!
Contentious issues go here.

Web inventor says we need to push back against fake news

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:40 pm

On the 28th birthday of the World Wide Web, its inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee has lamented the rise of fake news and called for everyday users to fight against the misuse of their personal data.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-13/t ... ws/8347920

Sir Tim wrote in an open letter for the World Wide Web Foundation that in many ways the web had lived up to his vision of an open platform that would "allow everyone, everywhere to share information" but that trends emerging over the past 12 months had made him worry about its future direction.

He also warned of increasingly insidious forms of political advertising that use the algorithms of social media platforms like Facebook to target users with misinformation.

James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Re: Web inventor says we need to push back against fake news

Postby DLM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm

:confused: I was expecting an Al Gore quote...
Daniel
DLM

Postby JeffStevens » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:07 am

The greatest challenge facing humanity today is telling the difference between truth and falsehood.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Retsinab » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 pm

JeffStevens wrote:The greatest challenge facing humanity today is telling the difference between truth and falsehood.

Agreed — and, sadly, I fear that the vast and increasingly influential internet is exacerbating rather than, as it should, alleviating that problem.
And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
The Gospel of Saint Matthew, 25:40 (NAB)

Jim B
retsinab@gmail.com
banisterjim@me.com
Retsinab

Postby DLM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 pm

JeffStevens wrote:The greatest challenge facing humanity today is telling the difference between truth and falsehood.

In my opinion, the greatest challenge entails who decides; in other words, who is the final authority as to what one can say and or think. The whole official mass media recent 'fake news' initiative began as an effort to silence and censor those who point out the mass media king has no clothes.

Fake news is nothing new -remember the 'recent hands up don't shoot meme? Hillary Clinton's loss; despite mass media fawning all over her and polls capitulating reality to her inevitability;was not an indicator of the birth of fake news; but rather, an indicator of the beginning of the end of fake news and the beginning of the end of the power of the propagandists behind it.

In my opinion, until there are no longer newscasts and or headlines that use fake news premised terms such as 'undocumented immigrant' or 'climate change' THEN fake news will not be officially dead.
Daniel
DLM

Postby Rose West » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 am

I'm not sure I understand this sudden "crisis" about something that has always existed. In the history books of my own education it was called "yellow journalism". As I was coming of age, I believe the term was "tabloid journalism." Now it's called "fake news." There's no difference, and it's pretty easy to spot because it's designed to catch the eye with as suggestive a headline as possible followed by copy filled with superlative after superlative. And usually it's not that complicated to figure out the true and the false. For one thing, unlike the laws of men, the laws of science will not be disobeyed, and certain things accepted as "truth" will nevertheless be false every single time.

Which comes back to the fact that the greatest challenge facing mankind is no different than it ever was. Sin exists and causes a gap between ourselves and God. God Himself bridged that gap, and the challenge we face is in letting go of sin and embracing friendship with God.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby Michael-D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Rose West wrote:I'm not sure I understand this sudden "crisis" about something that has always existed. In the history books of my own education it was called "yellow journalism". As I was coming of age, I believe the term was "tabloid journalism." Now it's called "fake news." There's no difference, and it's pretty easy to spot because it's designed to catch the eye with as suggestive a headline as possible followed by copy filled with superlative after superlative. And usually it's not that complicated to figure out the true and the false. For one thing, unlike the laws of men, the laws of science will not be disobeyed, and certain things accepted as "truth" will nevertheless be false every single time.

The problem is with the influx of supposed information sources. Add that to the excessive use of social media and it’s no surprise many lack critical thinking skills - yet, also suffer forms of narcissism. In a way, the POTUS is a sign of the times. He represents many in the world today who appear to care more about commenting on headlines and memes than reading a book.

Rose West wrote:Which comes back to the fact that the greatest challenge facing mankind is no different than it ever was. Sin exists and causes a gap between ourselves and God. God Himself bridged that gap, and the challenge we face is in letting go of sin and embracing friendship with God.

No question about it. Sin and the struggles of faith.
___
Michael
Michael-D

Postby lasaxman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 am

DLM wrote:In my opinion, the greatest challenge entails who decides; in other words, who is the final authority as to what one can say and or think.

George W. Bush is "The Decider".
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby DLM » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm

lasaxman wrote:
DLM wrote:In my opinion, the greatest challenge entails who decides; in other words, who is the final authority as to what one can say and or think.

George W. Bush is "The Decider".

Strategery....
Daniel
DLM

Return to Lion's Den