"Cardinal: The Rise and Fall of George Pell"

For general topics that do not fit better elsewhere.

"Cardinal: The Rise and Fall of George Pell"

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 am

The following is appearing on the front page of the Quadrant Online web site:

Over the days and weeks to come we will hear much more about The Cardinal, the book authored by the ABC’s Louise Milligan and released only yesterday (May 14) by Melbourne University Press. As you might expect, it is a scathing, sneering, unbalanced, nakedly biased hatchet job, as conspicuous for its omissions as for the heavily slanted presentation of what is included.

There will be more on the book at Quadrant Online over the next day or so, chiefly in regard to Milligan’s presentation of a certain Phil Scott. He is the former Painter & Docker, SP bookie, tax cheat, drug dealer, thump artist and career criminal who raised the first molestation allegation against Pell, claiming four decades after the alleged event that the young cleric goosed him at an altar boys’ camp. The sympathetic Ms Milligan seems to find Scott entirely credible; indeed, she makes such an effort to look beyond the decades of his criminality that a conviction and two-year sentence for selling speed is described merely as “really, really embarrassing”. Yes, “really, really”.

https://quadrant.org.au/

Some information on Quadrant by way of background
http://quadrant.org.au/about-us/
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Re: "Cardinal: The Rise and Fall of George Pell"

Postby fsimon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40439489.Quite frankly I dont trust the BBC.But what is the truth?
fsimon

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Australian civil authorities have yet to announce the number and nature of the offenses with which Pell is charged. But allegations against Pell have been accumulating for years. He stands publicly accused of complicity in a sex abuse coverup in the diocese of Ballarat in the 1970s and early 1980s; complicity in a sex abuse coverup in the archdiocese of Melbourne in the late 1980s and 1990s; and various counts of child molestation, assault, and indecent exposure, from 1961 through 1997.

In recent decades, child sex abuse cases have notably arisen from, and elicited, public hysteria. They have created poor conditions for the operation of the justice system. Ludicrous prosecutions and unjust convictions have resulted, far too numerous to count as the cost of doing business. In Australia, public hysteria concerning Pell is already extreme. Here is Louise Milligan’s florid book, written “from the complainants’ point of view.” Its publication was advanced from July to May, presumably to influence the deliberations of the civil authorities.

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusi ... dinal-pell

Milligan does not attempt to conceal her hostility to the Catholic Church. She recalls her Catholic girlhood with a shudder. When she can, she quotes her sources disclaiming any vendetta against the Church. But she is equally happy to quote a source, for instance, who recalls that his mother “took her shoe off and hit me in the face about six or seven times and said I was dirty”—in accordance, he says, with the “Catholic system.” Whenever she can, Milligan associates Catholicism with the victimization of children.

In her image of Pell, this association takes a monstrous form. Pell exhibits a “sociopathic lack of empathy,” not least in his adherence to traditional Catholic moral teaching. This portrait soon descends into schoolyard caricature. Taking up a popular epithet for him, Milligan calls Pell a “bully” over a dozen times. As a bishop, Pell used print, radio, and televisual media to bully his flock, by (for instance) voicing his concurrence in Veritatis Splendor. Pell is a bully because, when confronted by people who feel that Catholic moral teaching is unkind, he insists, nonetheless, that it is true.

The article by Julia Yost in First Things is well worth reading in full.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby inthegobi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:19 pm

James,

Second that, a good article. Did you read in the magazine of *Time*'s mangled article about the new generation of priests?

C Kirk
inthegobi

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Chris,

No, I hadn't. Thanks for that.

It seems the piece in Time is more a matter of uninformed silliness than of odium fidei.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Kent » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm

James,

The Yost article in First Things makes it seem as though as large segment of the Ausssie population is either thoroughly infected with anti-Catholic bigotry or at least is indifferent to it. Cardinal Pell seems to be the main target because he is highest member in Australia of the hierarchy. Milligan comes up with the cockamamie accusations which don't stand up to any reasoned observation, then just falls back to calling him a "bully", I guess because he will only speak truth, instead of the "feel good about their lifestyles" they want to hear.

You're "on the ground" there. Is it really that bad?
Kent Wendler
Kent

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Kent,

Yup. Pretty much.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm

This young Kiwi bloke provides an interesting insight into Cardinal Pell's character. Not as a prelate, not even as a priest, simply as a man - a very decent man.

I worked for Cardinal Pell in 2012, as part of a gap year I did with an organisation called NET (National Evangelisation Teams) in Australia. I, along with five other young Catholic adults, were assigned to the Sydney Team. Our full-time job was to do youth ministry in the archdiocese; running high school retreats, organising youth groups, and helping out at large-scale events.

Right from the moment I arrived in Australia, what struck me about Cardinal Pell was the stark differences in the attitudes people held towards him. To some, Pell was a monster, a man who embodied everything bad about that Catholic church and who had allegedly been complicit in covering up sexual abuse by Australian priests.

Yet, among the Catholics that Cardinal Pell ministered to, and among those who worked with him, almost all held him in the highest regard – Pell was a pillar of the Catholic community in Sydney, a faithful priest, and most fundamentally, a good man.

I crossed paths with Cardinal Pell at numerous events during my time in Sydney. Despite inevitably being swamped by people at these events, the Cardinal always made time to speak with my team and I. He would inquire about our success ministering to the youth of Sydney and was often quick to share a joke.

I never got to know the Cardinal in any great depth, but there is one memory of him that I have always held on to.

Towards the beginning of our year in Sydney, the Cardinal invited us out to lunch, to welcome our team to the diocese. Over the course of the meal, the topic of the Cardinal’s ongoing theological study arose, and I expressed to him that one day I too hoped to study theology, perhaps at the University of Notre Dame in Sydney. However, because I was an international student, the cost of tuition was daunting.

Hearing all of this, the Cardinal invited me to write him a letter, telling me that he would “see what I can do.” In the coming month, I learnt that upon receiving my letter, Cardinal Pell had personally written to the Deputy Vice Chancellor on my behalf, inquiring into the possibility of financial aid. When the Cardinal left on a trip to Rome, he ensured that his private secretary followed up on the matter, checking that the university had contacted me.

This man, responsible for ministering to over 4 million people in Sydney, who I’m sure had countless demands on his schedule, took the time to help me, some 18-year old kid from New Zealand, who he had never met before, try to obtain a scholarship.

https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/samue ... -i-admire/
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Kent » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Here is the latest info I can easily find in the U.S.A.

Anything more from local reporting? Here, the news agencies are much more concerned by our own troubles.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Postby Michael-D » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 am

Yada yada yada. I doubt most of the headlines.
___
Michael
Michael-D

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Hold the front page. There's a priest living in a seminary, a cardinal, no less.
James Daly
seamas o dalaigh

Return to General: Coffee & Doughnuts: Chew & Chat