Trump Exits climate pact-targets India

Trump Exits climate pact-targets India

Postby fsimon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:05 am

India is a very big polluter-its not just the air.Its the water the garbage dumped into the rivers and the sea deforestation of the western ghats.Indian cities are unlivable.I know nothing about Trump but he is right about India
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/trump-targets-india-china-as-us-exits-climate-pact/article18712174.ece?utm_source=true&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter
fsimon

Re: Trump Exits climate pact-targets India

Postby Rose West » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:48 pm

He's right about India. It's equally right about China, South America, just about anywhere.

The US had an EPA 10 years before any other country did. We've been cleaning up our environment and forcing companies to meet disposal regulations since 1972. It's 15 years since I worked at a lab that tested for dioxin and PCBs in human samples, but I can tell you that you can see how developed a country's EPA must be by how much of those compounds was in those samples. The US was at or below the nominal detection limit whereas countries in Europe tended to be at levels 10-100 fold above and Asian samples were thousands to millions above the DL. Only in the US was there a good enough firewall to keep dioxins and PCBs out of the food chain, and there have been years when fatty foods (containing dairy especially) were banned from import unless the production lot had been tested and found clean.

On balance, however, there's the issue where a lot of the environmental damage to places like the Yangtze River are due to US consumerism. Earth metal mining, which is possible in the US but not done because of expensive environmental regulations, has caused massive deterioration that will eventually take human generations to recover from. Yet who uses most of the technology that requires these minerals that is mined out of China and then factory processed and built all over Asia? It's overwhelmingly the developed countries. We keep our environment clean by shipping the "dirty" industries elsewhere.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby lasaxman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:53 pm

I think the EPA will soon be dismantled.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby Rose West » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Hopeful?

I don't think it will be dismantled. I hope that it can be made to make sense. It has to deal with three sets of sometimes contradictory laws and to reconcile with 50 state sets of regulations, too, which makes life very difficult for those just trying to get the job done at times. I won't cry if certain stupidities such as "no Mercury emission" were to go away. That's a legally undefinable quantity.

And in practical terms, if the EPA went away, companies wouldn't shift away from their current processes just for the sake of polluting more. They've spent the money to get where they are and they're not going to spend money to re-engineer back. As we've seen over the coal energy issues, most power companies who've switched to natural gas are going to stay with that now. And as we're seeing with the Paris Accord, a lot of US businesses are going to pursue what the Accord says, the only difference being that they aren't going to be REQUIRED to do it by the US government. Isn't it better when people do good things because they believe they're good things?
Rose West
Rose West

Return to The Warming House: Cabin Fever and Chain Gang