Will

Will

Postby Rose West » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Has anyone been watching this series? Straight out of the gate, it appears to espouse the theory that Shakespeare was Catholic and appears sympathetic to those who belonged to the faith in those days.

http://www.tntdrama.com/shows/will
Rose West
Rose West

Re: Will

Postby DLM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Rose,

Your post prompted me to check out the show. I have watched the first episode and agree with your assessment. Until now I have never pondered or even considered the Catholicism of William Shakespeare. The first episode was good; however, I will watch a few more episodes to determine if I add the series to my watch list.

Meanwhile:

The Catholicism of William Shakespeare
Daniel
DLM

Re: Will

Postby Rose West » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:41 pm

I've been aware of this theory for a while. It had to be pointed out to me, but there are passages of his work that seem very Catholic, even when one considers that the protestant faith of his time still kept many Catholic traditions. So while we can only speculate, it's certainly plausible.

We've only got through the one episode so far, but it's set up as an ongoing story arc. Being so used to having that part of Elizabethan history minimized in comparison to what Elizabeth's older sister did to protestants, it was refreshing.

I could have lived without the more prurient scenes, but on the whole I liked it. Hopefully we'll get a chance to watch more soon.
Rose West
Rose West

Return to The Salon: Media, Books, TV, Software