Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple Music

For general topics that do not fit better elsewhere.

Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple Music

Postby Michael-D » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 am

Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple Music by 44%

The mechanical royalty rates from streaming—royalties paid out to songwriters and publishers, as distinct from those paid out to performers—will increase by nearly 44 percent over the next five years. This comes as a result of a ruling from the United States Copyright Royalty Board after hearings that were held from March through June of last year.

---
Music Publishers' Association settled a deal with Spotify to help music publishers and songwriters claim royalties, as the messiness of the current system has led to lawsuits and other negative outcomes.

The National Music Publishers' Association was also involved in the fight for this ruling, alongside the Association of Independent Music Publishers. Variety reports that writers were looking for a per-stream rate but did not achieve that goal. However, higher rates are still seen as a victory. That's partly because of the significant rate increase, but also because the ruling further simplifies and streamlines the terms by which the rates are paid out.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01 ... sic-by-44/

Bravo!
___
Michael
Michael-D

Re: Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple M

Postby lasaxman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 pm

That's good news. Now, if I only had a hit song in my catalog. I'd better get to work on it. :harp:
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Re: Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple M

Postby Michael-D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm

David, how a man with your talent doesn't is SINFUL. :-)
___
Michael
Michael-D

Return to General: Coffee & Doughnuts: Chew & Chat