Today's Scripture Gen 22

Today's Scripture Gen 22

Postby lasaxman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 am

Today's first reading, taken from chapter 22 of Genesis tells the story of God commanding Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac.

Maybe somebody can help me understand it better. Here is what bothers me about that story.

First, it seems like God is being disingenuous. He commands Abraham to sacrifice his son, but He doesn't really mean it. Secondly, after God personally commands Abraham to sacrifice his son, God's "messenger" countermands God and tells him not to. In that case who would you obey, God himself, or somebody identifying himself as "the Lord's messenger"?
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Re: Today's Scripture Gen 22

Postby Kent » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 pm

My pretty much exegetically non-qualified opinion is that there is more to this than is clearly related in Scripture. My guess is that Abraham was not as religiously knowledgeable as you and me and thus did not understand the Lord well enough to recognize this apparent inconsistency. Assuming that much I would additionally suppose that God put Abraham through this "exercise" in order to help him (and subsequently, subtly, us) "develop" in the way God desires.

The subsequent "messenger" was likely empowered to leave no uncertainty in Abraham that this was indeed God's message.
Kent Wendler
Kent

Postby Rose West » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 pm

What always surprises me when I realize it is that a lot of things God does is not because He needs to but because we need it. Did God have to become man in order to know what our lives are like? Of course not; we needed Him to show that He knows us that well. So, turning things on their ear a bit, what's going on in this passage has nothing to do with what God needs or wants to know, but what he wants Abraham (and all of Abraham's children through Faith) to know. I can't say why, but the whole thing makes a little more sense to me when I consider it through that lens.
Rose West
Rose West

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm

David,

Abraham’s readiness to sacrifice his son has been understood as an Old Testament type or prefiguring of God’s willingness to offer Jesus as a sacrifice for human sin. The command to Abraham to sacrifice his only child was also a real test of Abraham’s great Faith and total trust in God. God had promised that Abraham would become the father of many nations. How could this be possible if Isaac were to be sacrificed? Although Yahweh’s command was most painful, Abraham trusted that God was both faithful enough and powerful enough to keep His promise. The Lord responded by renewing His promise to Abraham that he would be the father of a great race. His progeny throughout the whole world would receive the blessing of God – Divine adoption through the Incarnation. Not only would Abraham’s descendants be blessed, but all the nations of the earth would be blessed in him. In the Divine sparing of Isaac, Israel was to learn that theirs was a God who was not appeased by human sacrifice but by the sacrifice of a contrite spirit and a humbled heart (Psalm 51:19). The story of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac carries great significance. There is a clear parallel with Jesus in this story. Abraham's readiness to sacrifice his son is a prototype of God the Father and His Son, Jesus. But the difference is that while Isaac was spared at the last moment, Jesus had to die. Just as to sacrifice his only son did not make sense to Abraham, it made even less sense to the disciples of Jesus that God could allow their Lord and Master Jesus to be executed. It was only after Pentecost that the apostles realized that our eternal salvation was brought about by the suffering, death and Resurrection of Jesus.

http://www.vaticannews.va/en/church/new ... tary1.html
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Return to Scripture & Writings of the Fathers