The Off-Topic thread

For general topics that do not fit better elsewhere.

The Off-Topic thread

Postby ianJM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I am starting this again because it was a popular thread at COL. Same rules applies. Just have fun and don't be surprised to find off-topic discussions in other threads thrown in here for incubation to see if a new thread can be spawned. It is part of the fun.
Ian DC
ianJM

Re: The Off-Topic thread

Postby Judith Teresa McRae » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm here!
Judith Teresa McRae

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.
Judith Teresa McRae

Postby BobAdams » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Does that mean that you are the quintessence of Off-Topics, Judith?
Bob Adams
BobAdams

Postby ianJM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Welcome aboard, Judith!

Anything goes here, Bob. :)
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby Jim Lynch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 am

Testing 1, 2, 3

Greetings from Brentwood

Jim
God bless

Jim
Jim Lynch

Postby JeffStevens » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:10 am

Jim Lynch wrote:Testing 1, 2, 3

Greetings from Brentwood

Jim

Glad you made it, Jim. :)
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Mary » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm here!!!

Where's the Keurig table?

I sure do need a little sustenance
after all the confusion I caused trying to get here.

Mary
Mary

Postby JeffStevens » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Mary wrote:I'm here!!!

Where's the Keurig table?

I sure do need a little sustenance
after all the confusion I caused trying to get here.

Mary

Glad you made it, Mary! Sorry it was a pain to get here.

I believe the coffee discussion is occurring here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14 :)
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby com6063 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Jim Lynch wrote:Testing 1, 2, 3

Greetings from Brentwood

Jim

Where is Brentwood?

Happy hot Friday from the panhandle. I've missed Jim, Mary, Val, Jeff, Bob, Ian, Effie, and all of my COL friends. :(
"Working out my salvation in fear and trembling." Andrew McAllister
com6063

Postby JeffStevens » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm guessing Brentwood is probably where all the Brentwoods we know (Maryland, California, etc) take their name from.

It is among the East Saxons in England. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood,_Essex
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby ianJM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Looks like things are working out with the herding of the flock from COL. I'll leave you guys to your devices. Mary, I am really glad you made it here.
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby ianJM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Jim (Lynch),

Good to see you here!
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:13 am

ianJM wrote:Looks like things are working out with the herding of the flock from COL. I'll leave you guys to your devices. Mary, I am really glad you made it here.

I'm very grateful to everyone who helped me and also to the presence of those I hadn't met before.

btw...is it possible to get Chrome with IE? or is it limited to Google?

Mary
Mary

Postby lasaxman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:49 am

Mary wrote:btw...is it possible to get Chrome with IE? or is it limited to Google?

Mary,

To me your question does not make a great deal of sense. IE and Chrome are both Internet browsers. They can both coexist on the same computer and you can use one or the other (or both at the same time for that matter). You don't need any other aspect of Google to use Chrome. And you do not need either Chrome or IE to use the other.

I hope that answers your question, because I was not sure exactly what you were asking.

BTW, I recently upgraded to IE 10 and I find that it is not compatible with many websites I go to. I think I will roll back to version 9 or 8.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby FredM » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:13 am

lasaxman wrote:BTW, I recently upgraded to IE 10 and I find that it is not compatible with many websites I go to. I think I will roll back to version 9 or 8.

Hi, David --

Maybe IE10 will work for you in Compatibility Mode: http://www.k-state.edu/isis/help/gettingstarted/all-IE-CompatibilityMode.html
-- Fred M
FredM

Postby Marie Pruden » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:15 am

Judith Teresa McRae wrote:I'm here!

Judith - it's you! :D Wonderful to have you back! I sure missed you.
Pax et bonum,
Marie (sfousa)
Marie Pruden

Postby JeffStevens » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:12 am

lasaxman wrote:
Mary wrote:btw...is it possible to get Chrome with IE? or is it limited to Google?

Mary,

To me your question does not make a great deal of sense. IE and Chrome are both Internet browsers. They can both coexist on the same computer and you can use one or the other (or both at the same time for that matter). You don't need any other aspect of Google to use Chrome. And you do not need either Chrome or IE to use the other.

I hope that answers your question, because I was not sure exactly what you were asking.

I am confused, too.

As David says, IE and Chrome are browsers. Google can refer to a company or to Google Search (www.google.com).

Do you mean you want to use Bing.com search with Google? Or perhaps the msn.com web site as your home page? Both can be done with Chrome, just let me know which one you would like to do and I can help you make it happen.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Val Garcia » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 am

Hey Judith....been seeing you on facebook, nice to see you here (and Jim Lynch of course). Are you going to stick around with us for a bit?
Val

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.”-Flannerly O'Connor
Val Garcia

Postby Grace » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:10 pm

If you look at this thread on the Board Index page, on the far left there is a light bulb shape rather than a circle. Why?
~ Grace
Grace

Postby ianJM » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Grace,

I marked it as sticky, so that if you click coffee and doughnuts, it is at the top of the list. Makes it easier to find, instead of scrolling down to find it, as it is a popular topic. It is a different sticky icon than we are used to at COL.
Ian DC
ianJM

Postby Grace » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Aha! (Still figuring things out).
~ Grace
Grace

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Jim Lynch,

Good to see you here.
James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby Mary's Girl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Val,

How are you??? Do you still have your apartment? Have you been able to get your medications? Is your car still running??

I know these are personal questions but are prayer requests you've made so I hope it's ok that I ask you. I still pray for you during the LOTH and during the Consecration at Mass.
Nina

“We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart, and to bring home those who have lost their way.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Pax et bonum! :)
Mary's Girl

Postby Mary » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, at least I can find this place, my home away from home!!!!

I found Chrome just like Jeff described.

However with my poor eyesight that's about all I did find.

If everything goes well, I will have cataract surgery Wednesday.

AND...if Catholic online ever recovers from it's trashing, maybe there may be

a particular use for this place. :o

Mary
Mary

Postby Val Garcia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

NIna,

How are you??? Do you still have your apartment? Have you been able to get your medications? Is your car still running??

Thank you for asking and yes, since I include it on prayer requests, it's not at all too personal with my friends here. God knows, I've said far more personal things here.

I still have my apartment but I'm not sure what to do. If I get a job in the next month or two, I can keep it. If I don't get a job, I'll lose it in a couple of months and be completely broke which would leave me without doctors and medications. Well, correction...I'd still have the meds I get for free from the drug companies but would not have the other ten until I can get into a country clinic..long waiting times but I'm looking into a couple of possible programs today. If I gave up my apartment now, I'd have enough money for medication and gas and basics for several more months. It's hard to know what to do...I don't want to give up my apartment now and get a job a week later and be even more brokenhearted about my apartment. My car is still running, if it doesn't explode, I'll still have money for my apartment for those two months. I have a loan of two thousand promised to me to buy a medical billing program to work from home if I finish my course in time. I may ask my Aunt for a loan, that would be very difficult and I don't know that I can put her in an uncomfortable position but if I can get even a little from her, I may survive while I build a business.

I think of you often and you are one of those on my daily prayer list. I know you're in even rougher shape as I'm not quite there yet.

A friend at church is CFO at a hospital in Riverside...you know how far that is from Sherman Oaks of course...it would be crazy to work there with the mileage being added to my car but if she offers me a job and it pays enough to support the gas I'll need and keep my place, then I'll have to take it for now. However, she is networking with people closer to me to see if she can find something.

I've started looking into food stamps. If I can at least eliminate that expense, things will be a bit easier but it is a very hard and bitter pill to swallow.

Are you with your mom? Or have you found some help or a solution? I fervently hope so.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby Mary's Girl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 am

Hi, Val,
I'm glad you still have your home for now and your car's still going. It's awesome that your friend is networking for you! I'm closer (near USC) to Riverside than Sherman Oaks and it's a crazy drive from here...If you get that job and not the one closer, is there any way you can find a place a little closer to Riverside while still being close enough to your friends and community support in Sherman Oaks? I'm so relieved that you're getting your medications and will be able to continue to do so.

Good news for me too while I'm still crying every night as my life is still up in the air. A friend introduced me to her mechanic who is letting me borrow a loaner car with option to buy. Owner may accept payments. Thus, I'm able to continue working but my clients are graduating from the program, going on vacation, etc. Thus, my hours are continuing to shrink so I'm still wondering how all this is going to work out. The loaner car is even more of a gas-guzzler than my car; monthly gas cost is almost as much as my rent (no hyperbole; I am being direct and honest). So...I have a car to drive so I can work but it's consuming all my income and, thus, I'm back at the beginning of my sad tale. However, through this same friend, I am now working 12 hours a week at second job. It's not a done deal yet with this new job but I'm excited about it. Since my security deposit went to July's rent, I owe another security deposit plus rent plus the gas that costs as much as the rent and other expenses. So wonderful things are happening through community support but I'm still stuck and very scared. I'll be applying for food stamps as well.
Nina

“We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart, and to bring home those who have lost their way.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Mary's Girl

Postby Val Garcia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Nina,

The cost or gas to Riverside is a big issue for me as well. My car isn't supposed to be a gs guzzler but it doesn't do great in that department. Even a cheap apartment in a bad area further out that way, would cost about $500.00 more than my current rent. In 23 years, my landlord has only started to raise the rent the last few years and not at all since I lost my last job, also I'm rent controlled...so only 3% each time. Oh, decisions. If God wants us to do his well he should be a little more upfront about what his will is.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby lasaxman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Does the Metrolink train go to Riverside?
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby Mary » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 pm

David, I'll never get there in time for your concert no matter how fast it goes!

Mary
Mary

Postby Val Garcia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 pm

David,

Good question, I'm only two miles from a station. I'd have to look into that if I actually secured a position. So far, it's theorectical. I will say though, that my friend who take it from the Chatsworth station to downtown is constantly being delayed on the train. You'd be surprised how many times it hits a car, for instance. Her work actually sends a shuttle to Union Station to pick her and others up so they're aware of the problem and don't put tardiness against those who take the train.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby BobC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Val Garcia wrote:David,

Good question, I'm only two miles from a station. I'd have to look into that if I actually secured a position. So far, it's theorectical. I will say though, that my friend who take it from the Chatsworth station to downtown is constantly being delayed on the train. You'd be surprised how many times it hits a car, for instance. Her work actually sends a shuttle to Union Station to pick her and others up so they're aware of the problem and don't put tardiness against those who take the train.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BobC
BobC

Postby Mary's Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 am

BobC wrote:
Val Garcia wrote:David,

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What shocks you, Bob?

That the train and cars collide? That a company makes room for tardiness for people who take the train or...?
Nina

Mary's Girl

Postby Mary's Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am

Val and David,

I don't think Metrolink goes to Riverside. It's L.A. County only, isn't it? They want to extend but I don't think they've extended much yet. The Gold line runs along East L.A, Little Tokyo, Monterey Park and Pasadena. The Blue Line runs south to Long Beach. I haven't taken the Blue Line so not sure what cities it hits between Long Beach and Downtown, though I see stations along the divider of the 110 freeway. :shock: Expo Line runs from Culver City to Downtown, though Venice Blvd. on the westside is a mess from all the construction to extend Expo Line to Santa Monica. Then there are the Red, Purple, and Green Lines, not sure where they all go. I think Purple goes to North Hollywood.

That's scary, Val, to know that trains and cars collide. One of the train workers said that the trains have some sort of fail safe...thingy.
Nina

Mary's Girl

Postby lasaxman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 am

Mary's Girl wrote:Val and David,

I don't think Metrolink goes to Riverside. It's L.A. County only, isn't it? They want to extend but I don't think they've extended much yet. The Gold line runs along East L.A, Little Tokyo, Monterey Park and Pasadena. The Blue Line runs south to Long Beach. I haven't taken the Blue Line so not sure what cities it hits between Long Beach and Downtown, though I see stations along the divider of the 110 freeway. :shock: Expo Line runs from Culver City to Downtown, though Venice Blvd. on the westside is a mess from all the construction to extend Expo Line to Santa Monica. Then there are the Red, Purple, and Green Lines, not sure where they all go. I think Purple goes to North Hollywood.

Nina,

I think you are confusing Metrolink with the Los Angeles Metro train system. It is the L.A. Metro trains that have all the color names.

Metrolink does indeed go to Riverside and San Bernardino. There is a map of the Metrolink routes here: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/routes/

Those stations along the 110 freeway are bus stations. The Blue Line does not run there. Red Line goes to North Hollywood.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby Mary's Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks, David,

Yes, I was clearly confused.
Nina

Mary's Girl

Postby Val Garcia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 pm

I've taken the Red line subway to downtown several times, once for jury duty ( I was actually excused because of illness but had to go down there to submit the paperwork) and usually, to visit the cathedral for various reasons. The only problem is that to get to downtown from North Hollywood by 7:45 (for court), I had to get to the station between 6:00 and 6:30 to find a parking space in the lot. The last time I returned from court (this was about a month ago), I was completely parked in by two cars that were way over the line to the extent that I couldn't get in by the passenger side or driver's. I didn't know what to do and knew these people could be there all day. It was a scorching hot day and I called 911 and apologized and said I knew it wasn't that sort of emergency but I didn't know what else to do. They connected me to the sheriff's department who apparently police the metro and they said they would come and tow the car but in the meantime connected to a transportation official who polices the lot. They said to stand by the car and wait but fortunately, there was a bus bench very close and I was able to sit off and on, my back simply could not take long standing. An official came and he was able to get into the passenger side but had to take his belt off (with stuff hanging from it) to get in and back my car out. He said they'd tow at least one of the cars and I really hope they did but have a feeling they probably didn't.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby crickett » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 am

Such unthinking parking drives me crazy. More than once I have let loose some very unChristian words when faced with the result of people who park using two spaces, or park at a stupid angle, or just park whereever they feel like rather than in a space. I always make an effort to park within the lines. And I straighten the car if I am not straight. It's not rocket science is it?!
Kind regards,

Clare Rickett
crickett

Postby Val Garcia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:53 am

Clare,

It's not rocket science is it?!

It's rocket science to me because I can't park to save my life but I put the effort in and have never parked anyone in...I too straighten up and go between the lines, it just takes me an hour to do so.

I'm sorry, I previously spelled your name Claire on another thread, hopefully God knew who I was talking about.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby com6063 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Happy Friday all. It's been a rough week, I hope we can all stay safe and calm this weekend. :o
"Working out my salvation in fear and trembling." Andrew McAllister
com6063

Postby Val Garcia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Sorry Andrew..happy weekend to you and I'll add more prayers.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby Mary's Girl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Clare and Val,

Parking is rocket science for me too. In spite of 26 years of driving, I can't parallel park. I'll park 10 blocks away so that I can park easily by driveway or red zone.

Andrew,

I'll check out prayer section to know what to pray for but I'm praying for you too.
Nina

Mary's Girl

Postby JeffStevens » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm

I live in a townhouse, so I parallel park nearly every day. I've gotten pretty good at it. Not perfect, though.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby seamas o dalaigh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 pm

James Daly
(seamasodalaigh.wordpress.com)
seamas o dalaigh

Postby BobC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:22 am

James,

View Pure is much easier.
BobC
BobC

Postby Grace » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:20 am

I sort of learned how to parallel park just to get my driving license and then have never done it again. :) I knocked over the cone in the test but the guy passed me.
~ Grace
Grace

Postby Retsinab » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:32 am

Grace wrote:I sort of learned how to parallel park just to get my driving license and then have never done it again. :) I knocked over the cone in the test but the guy passed me.

I had driver's ed in high school nearly sixty years ago. Four to the class/car. We drove not every day but most days. One of the thing we spent a long time on was parallel parking. All these years later, I still do it exactly the way I learned by in Olathe High School in 1955.

An extra benefit of driver's ed back then, at least, and I assume still. As a male teenaged driver, I faced the highest rates of any group. But if you were certified through high school driver's education classes, you enjoyed a significant discount on your insurance premium.
And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
The Gospel of Saint Matthew, 25:40 (NAB)

Jim B
retsinab@gmail.com
banisterjim@me.com
Retsinab

Postby lasaxman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 am

Nowadays they have cars that park themselves. No skill needed.
David L (CA)
lasaxman

Postby Grace » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am

I could use one of those.
~ Grace
Grace

Postby Val Garcia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:27 am

I'm convinced every time I have to park out front (I have a garage behind my triplex but park in front for loading things, etc), that my next door neighbors and everyone in the apartment building across the street are watching me try to park. There can be forty car lengths open and I can't pull in front without being five miles from the curb and crooked or parallel park in it. I pretty much want to call people and announce it when I have, on rare occasions, successfully parallel parked. A couple of months ago I asked my friend John to teach me to park and he's going to do it...we just haven't set it up yet.
Val

Val Garcia

Postby Mary's Girl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Val Garcia wrote:I'm convinced every time I have to park out front (I have a garage behind my triplex but park in front for loading things, etc), that my next door neighbors and everyone in the apartment building across the street are watching me try to park. There can be forty car lengths open and I can't pull in front without being five miles from the curb and crooked or parallel park in it. I pretty much want to call people and announce it when I have, on rare occasions, successfully parallel parked. A couple of months ago I asked my friend John to teach me to park and he's going to do it...we just haven't set it up yet.

Val,

We must be long lost relatives who inherited the same poor parking gene. If we are related, it's from my dad's side of the family. He used to build and race his own Corvettes but couldn't park worth a darn.

Yes, how is it that we could park so far from the curb?? When parking, it looks ok but I get out and check and it is as you say--car's parked in the middle of the street. :?

Grace and David,

I want one of those self-parkers as well.
Nina

Mary's Girl

Next

Return to General: Coffee & Doughnuts: Chew & Chat