Request for Names - Nominations closed 11/14/2013

By registering, you agreed to these rules of conduct.

Re: Request for Names - Nominations closed 11/14/2013

Postby Kardinal » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Grace wrote:
On the other hand, Catholic Online, Catholic Answers and others have used "Catholic" without a problem for several years.

And what about Catholics United? Hasn't anybody with authority told them to cease and desist? Anything we could say here would be so completely harmless compared to them.

This is a useful discussion, but is drifting from this thread. Feel free to start a new one.
Kardinal
aka Jeff Stevens
Catholic Offline Forum Administrator
(This account is used only for Administrator functions and announcements. My opinions and comments are posted under the account JeffStevens)
Kardinal

Postby dean » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Grace, the existence of such sites (do you know for a fact they have not received permission from the proper authority to call themselves Catholic?) does not necessarily mean we are free to ignore the law. As I said, we can most likely use Catholic in our name without getting into trouble. Bishops are very busy and aren't going to question the use of the term Catholic unless the organization lands itself on their radar by its own bad behavior and the bishop has the gumption to take them on, as Vigneron did in Detroit. Perhaps we could argue that the existence of so many initiatives calling themselves Catholic gives evidence of permission already granted. However, I simply bring up the relevant Canon for consideration, now that we are choosing a name.
Dean
dean

Postby Mary's Girl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 pm

And our new name is...???

The suspense is killing me! :)
Nina

“We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart, and to bring home those who have lost their way.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Pax et bonum! :)
Mary's Girl

Postby Rose West » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Closing nominations doesn't mean the process is over, you know. ;)
Rose West
Rose West

Postby Kardinal » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Rose West wrote:Closing nominations doesn't mean the process is over, you know. ;)

Indeed.

We'll leave this open until midnight, then the mods will pore over the nominations and we'll decide from there. Might take some time.
Kardinal
aka Jeff Stevens
(This account is used only for Administrator functions and announcements. My opinions and comments are posted under the account JeffStevens)
Kardinal

Postby Charivari Rob » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:28 pm

How about some sort of use of the name Bethany?

Bethany was where Mary, Martha, and Lazarus lived. It was where Jesus was "at home" in some respects - sort-of off-duty. Yeah, I know Jesus is never really off-duty, but what I'm trying to say is... in comparison to what we view today as his three years of "working ministry", particularly where he was in Temple or traveling/teaching/preaching with The Twelve, Bethany was one of the first places the "laity" welcomed him into their home, enjoyed his presence, still experienced his miracles, and sought to understand more (through Him) about the promise of the Kingdom.

Isn't that what we're doing here?

Maybe this could be "The Bethany Project" or "Bethany Online".
Rob
Charivari Rob

Postby Kardinal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 am

Nominations are closed for this effort, but comments are still welcome. The staff is discussing this and another issue on which this is dependent. We'll post something as soon as anything is decided.
Kardinal
aka Jeff Stevens
Kardinal

Postby Mary's Girl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Jeff,

Why is there a "Sanctity of Life" forum and a "Culture of Life" forum? You explained in the "Sanctity..." heading what that one was about but what about "Culture..."? The threads BobC started in "Culture..." seem to fit "Sanctity..." so I'm confused. What would be an example of a topic that would fit in "Culture..." and not in "Sanctity..."?
Nina

“We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart, and to bring home those who have lost their way.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Mary's Girl

Postby Mary's Girl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Mary's Girl wrote:Jeff,

Why is there a "Sanctity of Life" forum and a "Culture of Life" forum? You explained in the "Sanctity..." heading what that one was about but what about "Culture..."? The threads BobC started in "Culture..." seem to fit "Sanctity..." so I'm confused. What would be an example of a topic that would fit in "Culture..." and not in "Sanctity..."?

:oops: Uh...just now noticed that "Culture of Life" discussion board is in "Forum Library". :oops:
Nina

Mary's Girl

Postby JeffStevens » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 am

I had wanted to split that off into its own thread (since it is off topic for this), but there's an error with my moderator account.

But I think the question has now been answered satisfactorily.
ImageJeff StevensImage
jeff@stevens.net
JeffStevens

Postby Tifoso » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Been off for awhile (my wife would probably say that I've always been off :mrgreen: ). Any news regarding this?
-Lou
Deus meus et omnia
Totus Tuus
Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds. San Francesco d'Assisi
Fungaiolo/Cacciatore
Tifoso

Postby BobC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 am

Nothing new, everyone busy with the Holidays, we'll get to it soon.
BobC
BobC

Postby Berachiah » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 am

As there doesn't seem to be a big onus to do anything particular about this issue it's possible that it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, but seeing as how this issue was first started a year ago I wanted to make sure that you all were still comfortable leaving things as they are.
The OTHER, other, Bob Adams...
Berachiah
Site Admin

Previous

Return to RULES and ANNOUNCEMENTS